UKChattabout.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest imagesHomeSame-sex Marriage and Adoption Banner20Log inRegisterRecent Posts

Same-sex Marriage and Adoption

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
5foottallhobo

5foottallhobo

Same-sex Marriage and Adoption Empty
PostSubject: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 7:32 am

If you look on several social networking sites - Facebook included - many users are posting pictures of a red "=" symbol in support of same-sex marriage. One of the biggest arguments still being provided against it - excluding religious beliefs and general disliking of the idea - is how it could influence any children they may wish to adopt.

The following is an article regarding same-sex marriage and why a pediatric group supports it: Pediatric Group Supports Same-Sex Marriage

For those who believe that children brought up by a gay couple can't receive the full benefits of being nurtured by a mother and father, here's a noteworthy quote from the article:
"Scientific evidence affirms that children have similar developmental and emotional needs and receive similar parenting whether they are raised by parents of the same or different genders. If a child has 2 living and capable parents who choose to create a permanent bond by way of civil marriage, it is in the best interests of their child(ren) that legal and social institutions allow and support them to do so, irrespective of their sexual orientation."

So if we disregard religion for a moment here, there is no reason why anyone should have a problem with same-sex parents. Or with gay marriage for that matter. Right or wrong?

If you disagree, explain why. Please keep religion out of it if possible. No disrespect to anyone's beliefs, but I don't want this to become a "Homosexuality is a sin!" "No it's not, stop being homophobic!" discussion.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/5FootTallHobo
MidnightTiger76RT
Highest Total Of Forum Posts Achiever
MidnightTiger76RT

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 am

I dont have a problem with same sex marriage at all. And im not religious at all. My only issue with this is the emotional well being of the child. Especially during school years. We all know how cruel children can be, especially if you are different, or come from an unconventional family. I dont quite think its as big an issue as years ago, but still its there.
Back to top Go down
Ladygenie

Ladygenie

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 am

I have known 2 same sex couples over the years, I don't think the children were adopted though, their children received as much love and attention as any children with a mum and dad.

The misguided opinion is that the children will be confused about having 2 mums and will probably grow up to be gay themselves, and that's where the ignorance lies, being gay is not a choice that's
made it's a natural part of a persons genetic make up and a child will love parents of the same sex as much as a child loves their parents of opposite sex does.
Back to top Go down
Ladygenie

Ladygenie

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 8:48 am

There's loads of reasons why children get bullied at school, single parent children get bullied, mixed race children, children who are intelligent, overweight children and children who wear glasses get bullied...the problem is not what makes them targets for bullies, the problem is what makes a child want to bully and hurt another child.
Back to top Go down
MidnightTiger76RT
MidnightTiger76RT

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Being gay, does not automatically make you a bad parent. There are enough bad straight parents!. But it also does not automatically make you a great loving parent either. I think people tend to choose one side or another on these kinds of things, instead of a more neutral stance.

I also think the only reason Cameron has even brought this up, is to divert attention away from the bigger problems we have right now in this country.
Back to top Go down
5foottallhobo

5foottallhobo

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 am

Not sure I agree with the bullying argument. As Genie said, children can and often will get bullied for countless reasons anyway. If it's not for being adopted by same-sex parents, it will most certainly be something else.

Yeah, I imagine there will be as many good and bad same-sex parents as straight parents. I honestly don't believe their sexuality gives them advantages or disadvantages when it comes to their abilities to bring up a child.

I agree, however, that Cameron is trying to take some of the attention away from other current affairs. Especially those involving himself, the incredibly foolish Boris Johnson and the vile George Osborne. Not a fan of the Conservatives, as you can probably gather. I don't disagree with every decision made, just a massive bulk of them.

One of them - I forgot which one - flew into a rage about disabled workers recently, claiming they all sit around and do nothing all day (except drink tea). He had no evidence to support what he said, he was simply being nasty and hateful.

Have a look at these:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/28/disability-cuts-dehumanising-rehetoric
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poorest-set-for-perfect-storm-on-benefit-cuts-the-lowpaid-disabled-and-jobless-will-be-hit-hardest-8555225.html

This country is screwed. I'm going to be brutal here and say that some cuts are totally necessary and that screaming "NO CUTS" is just unrealistic. The problem is how far they're taking the cuts, WHO this government are depriving. I'm sure I could list a number of expenses that this government doesn't need to spend but do so anyway. They do NOT NEED to take from those who need support the most. They need to take money from the scumbags who genuinely are abusing DWP, council housing etc. and give to those who really need it. Oh look, "occupied bedroom tax." Let's take from the poor and give to the rich more. Neutral

Now I'm going off topic too much. I'll leave it there for now.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/5FootTallHobo
Ladygenie

Ladygenie

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:03 am

My thoughts on the bedroom tax is in Grumpy's thread Tax your shed, I think it's disgusting that proposal passed through Parliament.
Back to top Go down
stumpy

PostSubject: Re: Same-sex Marriage and Adoption   Same-sex Marriage and Adoption EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 3:16 am

I think its in children’s nature to be cruel, there is always a scrape goat, it don’t matter if your gay or not, when I was at school, there was only 2 Jews in the whole school from a orphanage, so you can imagine what fun we had. Its like mankind isn’t content with peace, there’s always something happening, I guess its just that way, as we get older we choose who we associate with. Over here I know a gay couple, both woman are really clever. They each have a son, both got pregnant after they started living together, there very happy, their children seem happy, well mannered as well. These kids are content and it make me think about how many in society are content with their life. I think this subject can go 100 different directions, but I think its down to us, and how we all are. Sometimes I think all sounds complicated, and its us that makes it so.

My biggest surprise was my daughter, she’s gay, and to put bluntly I don’t give a fk, she’s happy, she’s enjoying life, and for me that’s what counts, I have met some of her friends, apart from making me blush, there a great laugh. if people are happy thats far better than being discontent in life. good luck to them, god im sounding like Uncle Moses now
Back to top Go down

Same-sex Marriage and Adoption
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UKChattabout.co.uk :: Community General Chat :: Debates-
Jump to: